Thursday, February 5, 2009

Spanking?

How do you feel about spanking children? What effect do you think it has on children? Are there times when it is justified? If so, when? What methods of discipline have seemed to be most effective in your life?
(Please use proper English and be sure to answer all the questions)

28 comments:

  1. i think its ok as long as you do it at a proper time like if they do something wrong and they need to be disciplined. its not ok if
    you just do it for the fun of it when they don't deserve it. things that have been most effective for me is taking something away that i like alot. (like my cell phone)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it is wrong to spank your children there can be other ways to discipline them like to stand them on the wall make the go to there room any thing but spanking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't think that spanking is the best thing to do because, I think that the child will not learn as well so I think that you should say what they did wrong and put them in a time out or something like that so thats what i fell about the spanking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that its fine to spank a child unless it is done over and over for the same problem, apparently there not learning that its wrong so try a different discipline. Don't do it over and over if there not learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spanking children is a good thing but it shouldn't be the first thing to do to punish them. You should consider other options in disciplining them like a time out or a little smack on the hand and tell them no.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that spanking is a very harsh way of dealing with behavior problems. If a child is misbehaving tell them, if they don't listen then give them a warning. If they continue take a way something that they like as a punishment instead of spanking. If a child is raised on a respect bases then they will understand the punishment and not take it lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think there are better was to discipline your child other than spanking them a simple time out works just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's a pretty good way to discipline your child as long as your not like beating them. It should also be for a good reason of course. It helps them understand that its not good to do what ever they didd to make you spank them. Of course the child most likely will not like that you spank them but they will learn not to do things that are wrong so that you won't spank them.
    -Dakota

    ReplyDelete
  9. It depends on what the child did. If it was something really bad then it will help them understand better about what they should and shouldn't do. If its something really small though then probably not because sometimes it just teaches the child to hit because they mimic whatever u do. It also shouldn't be hard because that can bruise them and it doesn't really help them understand what they are doing is wrong.
    -rachel

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that you should not spank your children. But they're some situations that a spank on the bottom is alright. Or you can also discipline them by not allowing them to watch t.v,or take something they value.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I strongly disagree with spanking. I think it is sometimes effective.But I would much rather want my children to make right choices because they know it's the right thing to do, not because they're afraid of the punishment.Because hitting your kids teaches them that it's ok to hit other kids. And sometimes spanking can go to far. Doing it excessively can lead to child abuse.And even tho some parents aren't aware of it, but the can really hurt their kids. Physically and emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To me, spanking is to harsh of a punishment. If you spank your child for the bad things that they do, then they may do it over and over again, because they know that they might only get spanked so they wont have to worry about anything big. Some parents hurt their child when they spank them so it is pretty much like child abuse. Find a better punishment like putting their nose in the corner or being grounded for a day, etc. If you spank your child to often then they might feel that they are being abused and that they need to tell someone for that even if it is not that big of a deal. There are better punishments that should be given. Don't hurt your child just teach them right from wrong by showing them that privileges will be lost when they do something wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think spanking your child is an okay form of punishment. I don't think spanking has any effect on a child. I think that when you spank a child you are telling them that they are going to get hurt every time they do something, no matter how small. If you spank your child enough, pretty soon it will not be that big of a deal to them. They will keep doing whatever it is they are getting spanked for, because it is just a spanking. You could find other, more effective ways of discipline, that does not include injuring your child (yes, spankings can hurt). You can send the child to their room, and make them think about what they have done. You could take away privileges, or assign more chores. You could make them put their nose in the corner. I don't think there are times when spankings can be justified. You can find other forms of discipline that are suitable for whatever they did. The methods of discipline that have been most effective in my life have been groundings, taking away of privileges, and being confined to my room. I don't think spanking is an okay form of punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spanking children, to me, shouldn't be the first thing that comes to your mind when you get irritated. There are plenty of other ways to punish your child. Spanking has become over-rated and can lead to child abuse. My friend's dad spanked her once with a board and i don't think that that is okay. There are to many issues involved with it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do not agree with it. I think that if you seriously need to spank a child it should be something important, and not for every little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spanking children is not a justified reason on how to punish kids. There are other ways of discipline.
    The methods that have worked on me is mostly being grounded from things, such as no t.v. for a week or something to that nature.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There are other ways that you can discipline your kids, that don't involve hitting them. Spanking your children shouldn't be the first thing that comes to your mind, especially if you are irritated. That could lead to you beating your kids. I'm not saying that it will but it is a possibility. You could use other ways that wont hurt but will still let them learn the right way. So i do not agree with spanking children. There are other better ways.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think spanking is an effective way of discipline. As long as it isn't taken too far. Some times kids don't listen or take parents serious. But is seems if a parent will spank the kid, they begin to realize the parents are serious.
    Grounding is probably the most effective in my life. Like taking away my lap top or cell phone. Because i hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think that spanking is an effective way of disciplining children.It may be harsh sometimes but it will get the point across to the child that what they did was wrong. I think that spanking should only be used in major cases where what the child did was very wrong and unacceptable. I think threats of being punished, such as threats of grounding or taking away my phone or texting, are probably the most effective i have been disciplined.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think spanking is fine only if your are using it to discipline your children. I also think spanking is wrong because there are plenty of other ways to punish a child for doing something wrong such as: a time out with their nose in the corner, going to their room, not being able to play with toys, or grounding if the child is old enough to understand the point.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think spanking is wrong there is plenty of other ways to punish a child. Spanking is another form of child abuse you could take something away from them for a hour or so depends on the offense, but honestly. As they get older the better they will behave if you take the right form of action. I also thing that spanking a child is right as long as you don't over due it once is enough, but that still is not an excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think that if you spank your child it should be for a reason that if they did something really bad that you should spank them. But if its not bad that you shouldn't spank them at all. And if you do spank them that you know not to do it to hard to make them not like you. And that you just spank them so that they know not to do anything bad again. And the methods of it iv seen in my life is that when someone hits there kids so bad that it hurts them really bad in there life. That they just don't like there family and that they are scared of them also.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think that spanking children is an O.K. form of discipline. It shouldn't be your first method of punishment. It depends on the child. Some children think like they can't do that or their have a spanking, which hurts them. But others won't think a second about it after it's one. Yes, it is justified when it's helping the child understand that what they did could have hurt them or get them in big trouble. It was always getting threatened to be spanked by anybody. I hated being spanked. I think if it's a method of punishment not to show your superior then it O.K

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am neutral on the whole spanking thing. The way I was brought up I would get spanked once not very hard. 'Cause by that I would know I did something wrong, and never do it again. The effect on me was I learned my lesson in a good way. But to others it can be a bad and painful situation. I think spanking is okay, but it can't be abused.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think spanking your child for discipline is ok ,but is it is just some little problem it is not ok. I think the effect it has on your child is , it makes your child not like you as much . Also it makes them scared of you. i think spanking is just ok for disciplining them but is the only time they should be spanked. if you spank them for small thing it is not ok.

    ReplyDelete
  26. spanking children isnt a good way to punish them there's other ways like putting them in the corner or sending them to there room for a couple minuets and then bring them out and talk to them. people shouldn't spank there kids just because there irritated or just because there arguing with there husband or wife about something then there kids do something wrong and that makes them more mad.irritation and spanking might lead to child abuse if its to serious. When i was little the guy that my mom was married to like if i did something bad he would take me in the room and spank me with a belt. sometimes he spanked me so hard it left bruises and welts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Personally, I strongly disagree with spanking. It is a wrong way to punish and discipline. It teaches them that it is alright to "hit" other children also when they are upset. And when they do their parents get angry at them, they get confused because they thought it was okay.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've thought a lot about the issue of spanking. In my own experience with my two children it has not helped to spank. It has only made me feel less in control and the child feel less loved. When a child's body is hurt, he or she takes it emotionally. Kids identify themselves with their body (maybe we all do?) and when you hurt it, they hurt more than we think. I believe it isn't productive, or at least has not been with my own children. I have friends who spank their children, with some who feel it works and some who feel it is futile.

    ReplyDelete